Popular Posts

What Was I Thinking?

>> Monday, July 12, 2010

This was the first sketch I did after being laid up for a few days due to my back.  (Drawn before my Sunday Sketches sketch.)  Maybe it was the pain that I was trying to work through, or the meds I was on or a combination of both but there are so many things wrong with this picture it's not even funny.  First and foremost one of the recurring issues I seem to be having is making my eyes too large.  I think it's because I feel like you should be able to see the iris, pupil and light reflections but this isn't necessarily true. 

Secondly, babies don't have thick, long eyelashes like this little one does.  The reference photo is a girl baby and this looks more boyish except for the lashes to me.  Finally, the head should have been longer.  Overall, it doesn't look bad as a sort of illustrated, generic baby similar to the Gerber baby. 

I'm learning new things with each sketch I produce.  I have also noticed I make faces slimmer than they really are.  Constructive criticism is always welcome.  Please don't feel that you have to say, "Great sketch" every time I post something.  I know I have produced some 'sketchy' pieces.  Oh boy, meds kicking in.  lol.

2 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Autumn Leaves July 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

Actually, Deanna, I have seen babies with similar lashes. That said, I think you do an awesome job with your sketches. For some reason, this little baby reminds me of the old silent movie actors! I think maybe because of the hard lines and the large, dark eyes. Rather like the makeup worn on those old silent films.

Shirley July 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Oh, your sketches are lovely, Deanna! Great work!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP