Popular Posts

A Birthday Gift

>> Friday, July 16, 2010

'Serenity'
Pencil on Sketch Paper

My boyfriend's mother's birthday is on Tuesday and he wanted to send something to her that I made.  I had just drawn this at work and I have to say, this is my favorite sketch so far.  The picture really doesn't do this one justice because of the extreme lights and darks.  This is the first sketch I have done with a water reflection and I think it turned out pretty good.  This was another practice sketch in the book I'm working out of so I didn't just dream it up or get it from a photo, but I'm still very proud of it.  As soon as my bf saw it he immediately declared this to be the gift for Mom.  I happen to agree so I framed it in a 4 x 6 black frame which really brings out the graphite even more.  Loving it!  Going to be hard to part with this one.   lol

I also wanted to tell you about my great finds at Hobby Lobby and Walmart.  At Hobby Lobby I found a 16 piece Oil Pastel Set on clearance for $3.59 which normally runs $9.99!  The end of the box was smooshed so I'm guessing that's why it was marked so low but all of the pastel crayons are intact.  Then, we went to Walmart and I happened to stumble upon a small but nice selection of fine art materials.  I got another set of oil pastels, this one had 25 colors for $4.99, they are slightly smaller than the Hob Lob ones but look to be of similar quality.  I got a pack of three 8x10 cotton canvas boards for $3.96, a pad of acrylic paper for $3.96 and a set of twelve 0.4 oz tubes of water colors for only $6.49.  It was like Christmas for me.  My boyfriend's birthday is Sunday and he received some b-day cash from his parents and let me buy some art materials.  Isn't he the sweetest?

Now, does anyone know what I'm supposed to do with oil pastels?  lol.  I've watched a ton of U-Tube videos and I think I just may like this medium.  Anything I can stick my fingers in to blend is a plus in my books!  

TGIF and hope you all have had a great week!

9 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Sandy Sandy Art July 16, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

Nice Swan Deanna! AND I bet you didn't have to erase it a bunch of times! :-D

Karen Bruson July 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

Beautiful sketch. Fabulous birthday present.

Autumn Leaves July 17, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

This is one gorgeous drawing, Deanna. Your kind of MIL will love it! Gorgeous job on the water, reflections included.

Nicky Stevenson July 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

This is a lovely piece of work Deanna, not surprised you'll find it hard to part with.

Great that you got such fab bargains too!

Nicky

MrBibleHead July 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Oh my Deanna! This is beautiful! You nailed the reflection perfectly. Your use of light and dark is wonderful! I'm a Chicagoan myself. Where abouts you from?

Anonymous,  July 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

I was in awe when I saw the sketch. It would be a gift anyone would love. Nice way to impress even the harshest critic. No one can deny your talent.
Then you made me smile when you confessed you enjoy a medium you can blend with your fingers.

Anonymous,  July 18, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

Oh- and Happy Birthday to that generous boyfriend!

Jamie July 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Beautiful swan- and what great finds.

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director July 19, 2010 at 4:36 AM  

I hope your boyfriend's mom ADORES this sketch. I can feel the peace and serenity coming through my monitor. LOVELY work!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP