Popular Posts

Sunday Sketches - Midnight Velvet

>> Sunday, April 10, 2011

'Midnight Velvet'
I've been practicing with my watercolors and was looking at photos online for some inspiration and found this gorgeous glowing moon with black background and treeline and couldn't resist.  Now, my treeline isn't as nearly as cool as the real thing and I kinda cut off the moon a little too much on the right but I think it turned out really good.  The colors in real life really pop and it looks as if it's glowing so I'm super psyched about this one and can't wait to frame it and hang it!

I use watercolors for the moon and gouache for the black to make sure it was more opaque and not too transparent.  I've had some small tubes of the gouache for about three years and haven't touched them until now.  It's much thicker than regular watercolor so I only had to give it two coats to get a nice rich black.

The hunt for a new apartment is still on.  We're supposed to look at a condo for rent today but I haven't heard back from the owner so I'm not sure if he found someone else to rent it or he's just been really busy.  I'm hoping it's because he's busy because it sounds really nice.  It has two bedrooms and a loft area, 1.5 bathrooms, a washer and dryer right in the unit and central air!  Knowing my luck he already rented it out and is just avoiding me now. lol.  

Anyway, to see more great Sunday Sketches hop on over to Blue Chair Diary hosted by the lovely Sophia!

31 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Hannah April 10, 2011 at 1:52 AM  

Wow! The moon looks awesome. Well done.

Unknown April 10, 2011 at 2:17 AM  

Really like this, great idea...

jywheeler April 10, 2011 at 5:53 AM  

I love your painting....you know I have gouache too and haven't used it. Maybe you have inspired me! LOL. Good luck in your apartment search.

Helen April 10, 2011 at 5:57 AM  

I love the skyline and the painting, it's great.

Marlene April 10, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

Beautiful painting. I don't have any gouache and have been curious bout it, maybe I will get some to try. Good Luck with getting an apartment.

Christine April 10, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

beautiful composition...

Nice to learn about gouache, it does give that midnight blackness.

Heather April 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

Deanna,
Good morning! This is just plain gorgeous!!!!!! Love the glowing moon....you have really captured it. I actually have been just sitting here staring at it. Really love the glowing feel it has. I like the black tree line, too! I have never used guache,,,,must try now!

have a great day and good luck with the apartment...hope you get it!xo

Alexandra MacVean April 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

Deanna,
I think you did a FINE job. Wow. I know I couldn't have pulled something like that off. So proud of you and the motivation to continue to teach yourself watercolours. I just received some books in the mail and am looking forward to starting them, too. :) Hugs

Sinderella's Studio April 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

I love it!!!! What colors did you use for the moon... it does glow! I love gouache! I think it is perfect!
cheers, dana

Fallingladies April 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM  

great job, the colors are perfect!

TiLT April 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM  

Great moon! I really like all the black - really makes it pop

maddyrose April 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

I love the colors in this piece. They really do pop. I'm not familiar with gouache but now I'm thinking about checking it out. Nice work.

Shayla April 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

The texture on your moon is lovely! You did a fantastic job!

Jehanne's doodles April 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM  

Oh that is a really cool painting. The tree line is super. I initially wondered about the black- thanks for sharing that info. I will cross my fingers re the condo, it sounds really great. :)

Kristin Dudish April 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Wow - fantastic! This really pops :)
I love the contrast between the moon and the black!

xo
Kristin

Carola Bartz April 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

When this page first opened up on my monitor I actually thought it's a photo - until I realized it's watercolor. It's stunning!

Debbie April 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

Wow! I'm loving this one so much!

Teri April 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

It looks beautiful and great use of gouache. I don't use mine too much either.

Tammie Lee April 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

this is beautiful! I love it. thank you for sharing what you used to make it, i love those details. wishing you the best finding home~

lissa April 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

the colors are just right and the title fits very well

have a great day.

Anonymous,  April 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

Awesome moon! Love the color. BTW, you probably already know this, but you can mix your regular watercolors with the white gouache to get different colors of gouache. So you only really need the white and black.

Julia Christie April 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

This is gorgeous! I just love it! I keep seeing so many of you artists that do such a great job with watercolors and I really have to just jump in and try them out!

Smiles

and good luck with the apartment!!!

WrightStuff April 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

This is incredible. I think you are being too harsh on yourself. Do more like this - it's fab!!

Joni Nickrent April 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

Love your watercolor...the contrast between the moon and the silhouette of the trees is awesome! The moon is one of my favorite muses...:) Great job! Found you from your Sunday Sketches Link!

Anonymous,  April 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM  

Hi Deanna! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments on my mermaid girl. Love your watercolor full-moon! Looks like the moon we had last month! Happy Spring!

xoxo Valerie
http://valeriehart.com

Elizabeth Claire April 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

The colors in the moon are so beautiful! I really like the painting with all that black ! Hope you can find the right apartment!

Anonymous,  April 11, 2011 at 2:38 AM  

This is lovly. The colours in the moon are gorgeous and your tree line looks great!

Jenn Bower April 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

WOW! That looks incredible. What a striking contrast. I tried a watercolor moon once so I have great admiration for what you have done here.

GalleryJuana April 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM  

Talk about glowing! Great job.
Thanks for the ss visit.

EVA April 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I LOVE this!

Good luck Deanna!

Paula - Buenos Aires April 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

That´s an amazing glowing moon. In love with the trees too.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP