Popular Posts

Inspiration Avenue - Books

>> Thursday, July 15, 2010

'Books'
Colored Pencil with Marker on Sketch Paper

I was really excited about this week's word prompt for Inspiration Avenue's Weekly Challenge.  As an avid reader I have lots books on my bookcase shelves, so much so that I've had to resort to stacking them two deep and on top of each other wherever possible.  I'm a huge fan of scary, gory, murder, mystery type novels and have the likes of Stephen King, Patricia Cromwell, Dean Koontz, John Saul, Michael Connelly and many more author's adorning my shelves.  In fact, I am reading a new Dean Koontz book titled, "Relentless" but have only just begun the first chapter.

I love working with colored pencils and marker.  If you've never tried this technique, I really urge you to give it a whirl.  You can use any brand of colored pencil, I happen to have a very nice set of Prisma Color  Premier colored pencils and Markers.  I use the colorless blender marker all over and use varying shades of gray for shadows.  I need a new 10% gray though, didn't get the cap on all the way and it dried out.  The colorless blender is awesome though.  It removes the waxiness of the pencil and makes it look more like a pigment ink or something.  Pretty cool effect with little effort.  I have some colored markers but have not tried those with the pencils yet.  The best part is, you can use ordinary sketch paper as long as you don't overdo the marker.  

That's my art lesson for the day.  lol  Hope you are having a good week.  Only one more day and I get a day off!  Not sure why I'm excited, I'm going to be on call for ers as my boss is going to a Toby Keith concert this weekend, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't have to go in.

5 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Autumn Leaves July 15, 2010 at 4:09 AM  

Nicely done, Deanna! Love those bookends and your reading genre choices are like my own. Now, about that blending marker...

WrightStuff July 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

Lovely little pic. I have rediscovered a love of coloured pencils too. Have you tried Derwent Inktense - when you wet them, the colour becomes like ink. Amazing intensity.

artangel July 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

Great study and interesting technique - thanks for sharing it!

Priti Lisa July 19, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

I really like this picture...you did a great job with the shading.
And Lisa Wright is...well, right...Intense Ink pencils rock!

Plumrose Lane July 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

What a beautiful submission for the challenge!
♥Sharon

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP