Popular Posts

My First Full Sized Watercolor Painting

>> Monday, June 28, 2010

I may have been a little over zealous when I chose this picture to be my first water color.  I've done little ACEOs but never a large piece.  I thought it would be easy to do a building but I was wrong.  Creating straight lines and trying to cover the graphite I used to copy the image from the original drawing made it look too outlined and not as realistic.  I realize now that I need a book to help me go step by step instead of trying it on my own.

My boyfriend absolutely loves it so I told him he can have it.  LOL.  I really need to work on my trees and my rocks look like anything but rocks.  It was a learning experience and I'm glad I tried it.  I do love watercolors and I will be trying more images but I really do want a book to follow.  After all, that's how I learned to draw and it seems to have worked.  Again, I had trouble with shading.  I did fine on the church itself but put the shadows in the wrong spot on the ground.  Each time I try something new it is a learning experience and I'm happy to have been able to try new things.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend.  I plan to spend the day at the pool, weather permitting.

6 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Carmen June 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM  

It's got a very gothic feel to it. I really like it - and the strong colouring really works.

Autumn Leaves June 28, 2010 at 5:24 AM  

I love watercolors, Deanna, and I think you did this beautifully. I love the darker tones to the piece and I'm not sure why the shadows are on the wrong side? They look fine to me; they are all going in the same direction and the light seems to be hitting the building on its right side, which to my untrained eyes makes it look like the shadows are going in the direction they should be going. I'm not sure where the rocks are (Would they be the small ridge in front of the church? I think they look like small bushes which work just as well, if not better!).

I see what you are saying about the outlines, but I rather like the effect with the darker tone to the piece. The trees look fluid, as though they are being tossed by the wind. The grass colors are just exquisite, as is the sky.

I think it is well done so I'm going with your boyfriend on this one!! By the way, I have a link to books sold by Amazon on my sidebar and I do have a watercolor book on it, if you are interested. Watercolors are my favorite medium.

Angela Sullivan June 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Deanna lovely. You did creat strong colors. I think go for it you will only get better and better. Can't wait to see more.

feather June 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

i really love the way your painting turned out. i love that it's realistic, with a sort of not realistic feel. i really like that. i love the sky...your colors are so vibrant.
i'll be cruising around here today, if you don't mind. you have so much excitement on your sidebar to explore!

Steffi Gunning Photography DOT COM September 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

This is AMAZING. I love the greens and blues and how it lightens as it goes up! So many different shades. BEAUTIFUL!
STEFFI

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP