Popular Posts

Inspiration Avenue - Circus

>> Wednesday, June 23, 2010

For this week's Inspiration Avenue challenge, the theme was Circus.  I immediately thought of elephants, trapeze artists and a lion tamer, but decided to go with a clown.

I wanted to show emotion with my clown so I made him a sad clown.  Why is he sad?  Because he gets such a bad reputation.  Raise your hands, how many of you readers are afraid of clowns?  I thought so!  lol.  I'm not sure why so many people are afraid of clowns.  Sure, there was John Wayne Gacy (for those of you that are too young or not from Illinois, click here to find out who he was.)  There's also 'It' from Stephen King.  But outside of those two, I really don't see what's so scary about them.

What do you think?  Clowns: scary or not?

19 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Crafting Queen June 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

Great drawing. Your drawings are really lovely.

Carmen June 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

Not scary... eeeeeeevil! *g*

Love your clown though - I don't believe he is evil at all ;)

Charlie June 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Great art and interpretation! I immediately thought of clowns for the circus theme too. Not sure why so many people are so scared of them.
I'm not!
But I do love your sad face clown. Thanks for playing with us at IA.

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director June 24, 2010 at 2:22 AM  

so sorry this clown is soo sad! Misunderstood... the words to the Smokey Robinson song "Tears of a clown" is playing in my head...

helena June 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM  

poor clown - fantastic photo. i always thought of clowns as mysterious rather than scary - must have had only good circus experiences as a kid

Autumn Leaves June 24, 2010 at 4:47 AM  

Never have been scared of clowns, I must admit. Always did feel so sad for the sad clowns though. 'Course coming from Bozo (and Oliver O. Oliver and Sandy and Cookie...), it should be no surprise that I love 'em! Gorgeous colors here, Deanna. By the way, I'm going to be starting school mid-July in Joliet! How cool to "meet" a local blogger!

Lori P June 24, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

lol. I definitely think it's the stephen king thing. but then again, maybe he was playing off a fear that was already there? kinda like the "which came first thing".

Beverly June 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

i love this! beautiful colors

R Montalban June 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

Clowns, can be very scary, and also not - mixed feelings on that one. That said, well done on your sketch, you definitely got the theme of the circus in the bag!

Angela Sullivan June 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Well! I think they were scary before I knew about Stephen King or Gacey. I want to like them but if in a room with clowns find myself looking to see if they are following me with their eyes. And now you know too much about me. Not scared at all of real live clowns though. Funny huh?

Amy June 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

aw, he looks kind of sad

WrightStuff June 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Funny! (except when they are so sad... I don't like to see a sad clown - although this one is beautifully drawn!

Heather June 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

I like clowns, they are full of magic. I like how you did the black background! great colors.

I wanted to thank you again for nominating me for the award. Can I put that up on my blog? I have never received an award! So i am new at this.

XXOO
Heather

Shelinwa June 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

Reminds me that when a clown frowns they really are smiling cause the frown is painted on..
Love it

artangel June 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

I'm not afraid of clowns but I do find them quite melancholy. This one is gorgeous though even though he's a bit sad!

Kim Collister Studio June 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

I love your clown. He is only crying because the circus is leaving town. Clowns love making people smile just as your artwork did me!

Maggie June 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Yes, this reminds me of "Tears of a Clown".

It's not natural to be happy all the time, so this is why clowns are portrayed as sad sometimes...maybe? I think I like a sad clown better than a happy one. MUCH better than a scary one!

Java Venus June 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

Maybe he's sad because his cotton candy is all gone? I would....

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP