Popular Posts

Learning to Walk Before You Can Crawl

>> Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Meet Kevin.  I did not think Kevin up on my own.  He was a fun little exercise I found on drawspace. And while he may look cute, he doesn't look much like the example but that's ok.  He's my little piggy and I don't think he needs to be an exact replica.

One of the things I have recently come to realize is that I learned to draw before I knew how to sketch.  Kind of like learning to walk before you know how to crawl.  I love my Lee Hammond books and have learned some really great techniques from her; however, I discovered that I don't really know how to sketch.  Sketching is much looser and freeing than actual drawing.  Sketching can look very realistic like drawing but typically takes less time and is more of a rough image.  I love that I can draw but don't always have the time to dedicate to one piece.  So I am trying to learn how to sketch.  Big difference for me is that whenever I start a drawing I always graph, I am really bad with proportion so it is a must for me.  Trying to sketch something just by eyeballing it seems so much harder to me for some reason.  Or maybe it's not harder but that I'm not letting go enough to just do it without thinking so much.  Either way I am going to keep trying as I know practice makes perfect.

Speaking of not having time, I have been picking up extra hours at work and when I'm not at work I've been busy working on setting up my new studio space in my bedroom.  I've gotten the closet cleaned out, the furniture rearranged, my desk and computer set up as well as my bookcase with my books and supplies.  Now I just need to go through the hundreds of other craft items in the spare room to make room for my son. lol.  I'm so exhausted that I haven't had time to draw/sketch or do much of anything else.  The good news is that I'll be way organized once I'm done going through it all.  I hope to have some pics of my space once I'm finally finished.

Hope you are all having a good week so far.  ;)

4 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Heather March 9, 2011 at 1:25 PM  

he's a cute pig..i've got them on my mind as we are reading charlottes web...here at my house.
youve done a nice job making him your own.
sounds like you are definitely getting organized, it's so great to just take the time to do that. i will look forward to the pics, when it is done!
enjoy your day.

Unknown March 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

oh my heavens he is the cutest little pig ever!!! what a fun piece...and I love that he is in your unique style Deanna!!!

Kristin Dudish March 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

Kevin (Bakon - what a fabulous name!) is adorable!!! You did a wonderful job. Thank you so much for the link - I hadn't heard of drawspace until now (I just checked it out... very cool.)

xo
Kristin

Unknown March 10, 2011 at 6:10 AM  

This is a great piggy! good job!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP