Popular Posts

Inspiration Avenue - St. Patty's Day

>> Saturday, March 19, 2011

I thought it was fitting that since I grew up in Chicago that I draw the Chicago River dyed green for St. Patty's Day.  I sketched it up in pencil first then went over it with my new Sharpie pen (which I love by the way!) and for the thicker black lines my Staedtler Lumocolor pen.  I colored in the green river with several different shades of green with my Prismacolor colored pencils.

I stopped at Hobby Lobby again today to get the Prismacolor Turquoise pencils (I've heard they're pretty good for sketching) but I haven't used them yet.  I was only going for those, but you know how it is. lol.  I ended up with some new watercolor brushes (on sale for 50% off!) and another pastel paper pad in a larger size.  So I have tons of new supplies to play with and a whole day off of work! 

Check out all of the great submissions for this week's challenge here.

Happy Saturday!

11 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Unknown March 19, 2011 at 5:15 AM  

LOVE that pop of green! What a simple and perfect statement!

Heather March 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

It's so fun to get new art supplies! yay! I love the green and black here, nice job! I wish i could see that river in person...i saw a photo of it on line and couldn't believe my eyes! You've captured it sooo well! xo

Crystal March 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

I love how you used color and the lack thereof to accentuate the green river. Perfect St. Patty's Day drawing. Have a great weekend! :-)

SarahBeth March 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

Well, you know, all rivers flow green on St. Patty's Day!

Sinderella's Studio March 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

Being Irish - how could I not LOVE this!!!!
cheers, dana

Priti Lisa March 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

Can you believe I only learned about the green river this year? I love this drawing!
xo

gma March 20, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

This is cool! I love the fact that there are so many Irish people in Chicago that they really do this! Great drawing!

gatheringwonder March 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM  

ah, this is home - well captured!

Virtual Boy March 21, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

Looks really cool, the green color really pops!
And buying new art supplies is always fun~ ^-^

Kat W March 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM  

How fun that they dye the river green! Great drawing & an original take on the IA theme.

Kat :-)

Theresa March 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

I didn't realize they do that! How cool that must be to see in person.
Love the drawing and your choice on the shade of green! Sorry I am getting here late. ~Theresa

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP