Popular Posts

A New Medium

>> Wednesday, March 16, 2011


Well my trip to Hobby Lobby paid off.  I got so many neat things yesterday.  One of them being a set of pastels, which produced the above image.  Few things about pastels, I love them!  They are a little messy and it's a little awkward at first but I had a lot of fun playing with them.  I have a book from the library and decided to go for one of the larger images, you know, the whole learning to walk before I can crawl.  I realize now that I should have done the little exercises first but I still enjoyed working on this.  I also realized that I need larger paper for an image like this. It was hard getting the detail in a small space.  But that brings me to one of my other finds, pastel papers in an assortment of colors.  I also got a set of Watercolors in the tubes, a super neat spiral bound watercolor field journal, a book on watercolors, some watercolor card papers and envelopes and a tiny little sketch book.  Everything was either on sale or on clearance and the one item that wasn't, the pastels, I used their 40% off coupon for.

Now, if I could just get up the guts to actually use the watercolors we'd be all good!

5 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Jamie March 16, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

Isn't hobby lobby the best?

Crafting Queen March 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

Really lovely, great colours. Take care.

Lesley March 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

I really love the colours you've used here!

Alexandra MacVean March 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

What a fantastic start, Deanna. I really like it. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I've tried to use pastels in the past and besides being messy...I just couldn't get the technique of blending them together down. Hmm.

I have to say that I'm really loving the watercolour field. I do like using acrylics and was in a phase where that's all I did. I think watercolours is my niche'. Does that mean I'll not do anything else? Nope. Just enjoying where I'm at in my art right now.

Now...keep diving in!! :)

maddyrose March 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM  

Hi Deanna, I thought since you visited me I'd return the favor and I'm really glad I came over to take a look. What a gutsy lady, working with pastels. I've never been any good with them but after seeing your lovely work I just might try them again. I take it hobby lobby is a craft store. I don't think there are any in my area. Too bad.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP