Popular Posts

Paint Party Friday - Sea Turtle

>> Friday, April 15, 2011

I have been so excited about this week's PPF since last Friday!  I actually painted this last Friday afternoon and it has taken every bit of will power I have not to post it before today. lol.  I sketched the sea turtle out a few weeks ago but was too afraid to try painting it right away because I didn't want to mess it up.  I love him!  I used liquid frisket to mask off the light areas on his body after putting down a wash of the blue/green color then layered on some browns.  After I removed the frisket I went around the brown edges again and darkened the blue/green slightly.  I had so much fun doing this one I couldn't decide if I should post him for Sunday Sketches last week or my moon, which if you missed that post, the image is below and the post is here.



To see more wonderful PPF submissions or to join in on the fun hop on over to the Paint Party Friday blog.

PS...Looked at a very cute apartment today, has all hardwood floors,  new windows, a basement with storage space and a washer and dryer!  Little smaller than the apt we're in right now but it does have a large fenced back yard and central air.  Still going to look at another unit on Sunday.  I think we're getting closer.

36 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

lenoracle April 15, 2011 at 12:43 AM  

Love it all! Glad that the turtle worked out, there's nothing worse than sketching something and being afraid to ruin it and ruining it! Although I find that happens less often than you think it will. Happy PPF!

Tammie Lee April 15, 2011 at 1:44 AM  

hello, your turtle is wonderful.
thank you for sharing about your masking technique, I love hearing about things like that. lovely to see your moon again.

Hybrid J April 15, 2011 at 2:40 AM  

Wonderful painting and love the details. Great work! Oh, and what a magical moon you got there! You're doing very well. :)

And happy house hunting ...

Anonymous,  April 15, 2011 at 3:02 AM  

I love it when a painting turns out exactly as we'd hoped or even better! Your sea turtle is lovely and I love how you explain the technique used (although would I be showing my ignorance if I said I have no idea what frisket is? - is it like masking fluid?)
I think I commented on your moon post already as I think it is awesome - the tree details - the colours in the moon - just gorgeous!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf April 15, 2011 at 4:25 AM  

The turtle is amazing and the moon is just spectacular!

Netty April 15, 2011 at 6:21 AM  

Oh wow both paintings are extraordinary........gorgeous work. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

Heather April 15, 2011 at 6:38 AM  

Deanna,
LOVE the turtle! He came out great!!! Looks like you enjoyed playing with the liquid frisket! - and you know how much I love that moon - JUST GORGEOUS!!!!!
I like the sound of the apt. hardwood floors and laundry room!!!! woot woot! good luck , keep us posted - xo - enjoy your friday

maddyrose April 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM  

It's wonderful that your turtle turned out so nicely. Many artists get anxious when they've done a drawing that they're happy with and then have to decide if they want to add color. Aren't you glad that you did? Lovely work. Good luck with the apartment hunting.

Yvonne April 15, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

Love the turtle! I will be going on my first bay sea turtle release soon and hope to get some good photos to paint. You have inspired me! Happy PPF.

SHERI COOK April 15, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

Love both the turtle and the moon! Happy PPF!

Maggie April 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM  

The way the blue and brown pick out the pattern on the turtle's back is gorgeous! I love turtles.

Anonymous,  April 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM  

That turtle looks great! Aren't you glad you were brave and painted it? I've had that same fear, so I understand it. I just tell myself I can't learn and grow without taking those chances.

Crystal April 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

The turtle turned out wonderful! I love him too. :-)

Pam Tucker April 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

Your turtle turned out wonderfully! I know that fear of ruining a perfectly good sketch when you paint over it. You did a beautiful job! I love the colors you chose for him. And it was nice to see that gorgeous moon again!

GlorV1 April 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

Hi Deanna. You have done an amazing job with the turle and I just love the moon. I would love to be sitting there watching that moon. Great work. Happy PPF!

Anonymous,  April 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

Hi Deanna. The turtle is great but the moon....oh that moon! I just love it. Awesome work. Happy PPF! :-)

Marlene April 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

I love it, turtles are one of my fav things. You did a marvelous job on him. The moon is extremely cool too.

ger chouinard April 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM  

Deanna: LOVE the sea turtle and your moon. Good luck with the move (i hate packing for a move) ... but it's all worth it when you settle into your new nest! LOVE listening to IZ! xoxo

Valerie-Jael April 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Great work, love both your paintings! Valerie

Jenny April 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Oh loving the tune that is playing as i type..somewhere over the rainbow! :)
Gorgeous turtle and wowzer moonscape! Wonderful paintings...wish I had the problem of having paintings ready to post about a week in advance!! :)
Oh you asked about the printer..its an epson stylus P50...great quality for nowhere near the price I expected to have to pay! :)

Christine April 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

cute sea turtle. Is he under the water? The hardwood floors sound nice.

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 1:39 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown April 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

I thought i'd already commented on this, but I don't see it now......so if I already did, feel free to delete one if you like :)
I love your turtle; you've really captured the sense of lovely graceful movement they have and your use of color and detail is gorgeous!
Also, your moonrise is amazing- those COLORS are glorious!
Good luck with your apartment and HAPPY PPF!
Stephanie

Anne Butera April 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

Wonderful! Great job on your turtle! And I LOVE the moon! Just gorgeous!

Good luck with the apartment hunting!

Kristin Dudish April 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

What a great sea turtle - thanks for sharing how you did it :)
(I still love that moon!)

xo
Kristin

p.s. Good luck with your search - It definitely sounds like you're getting closer!

Gerri Herbst April 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM  

Loving that fabulous full moon. It is so magical. Thanks for the comments on my sea shells today.

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM  

i really really loved this wonderfuly done

Jaime Haney April 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM  

what a cute little turtle! great composition on the moon... it's my favorite.

Lynn Stevens April 16, 2011 at 1:27 AM  

Great turtle! and I love frisket film too, best invention ever. Love your moon, so dramatic!

Theresa Plas April 16, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

Both pieces are WONDERFUL! I would've had a hard time waiting to share too:)

Cynthia Schelzig April 16, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

They both look great! Aren´t your doggies cute tooooooo!

EVA April 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

The turtle is lovely! And the Moon is absolutely spectacular! (And it influenced one of the poll choices this week!) I LOVE it!

frisket - not familiar with it. If you use it again can you show more of your process? Thanks!

Good luck with the apartment!

Carola Bartz April 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

I'm awed again by the beautiful moon, and the sea turtle is so adorable. Your work is wonderful!

Annabelle April 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

Oh, I just adore your moon and the sea turtle as well.Lovely work! Totally awesome work!!!

Annabelle : )

Paula - Buenos Aires April 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

I want to pet the giraffes in your header. :)
Cool technique for the turtle.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP