Popular Posts

Sunday Sketches - Poppies

>> Sunday, April 07, 2013

'Poppies' Watercolor on Canson 140lb cold press paper
First off, sorry for the bad photo, I finished this in the evening and could not get good light to save my life.  The background is actually white but it keeps showing up pinkish or yellowish in the pics even with playing with it in Photoshop.  I love red and have red accents in my kitchen so I thought poppies would make a perfect painting to add some color pop to the walls.  I did a bunch of practice poppies in my field sketch book and three poppy paintings before I got to this one.  I love how the poppies turned out but I'm not real happy with the placement of the two top buds.  Sooo...I'm sure there will be more poppy painting madness in my near future.

I also did some hummingbird watercolor studies which my mom has hinted she would love for mother's day.


I just turned my spare bedroom into a studio of sorts and am loving the fact that all of my supplies are in one spot...and I have space to store everything!  It's amazing how just having easy access to your supplies can really get the creative juices flowing. I did a free form daisy painting in oils also, all in the last two days! The house is spotless, laundry is done and I had the whole day today to myself so I've been busy painting away in between watching reruns of The Walking Dead, (even though I have an irrational fear of zombies, I love that show!)

Hope you had a great creative weekend!  I'm linking up to Sunday Sketches so please stop by to visit the other lovely creations.

22 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Jehanne's doodles April 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM  

These are really beautiful and yes the humming birds would be great for M-day :)

Unknown April 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM  

Those poppies are amazing...one of my favourite flowers. The humming birds are gorgeous. Having a room just for art is wonderful... :)

manomij April 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM  

red is the accent in my kitchen too so it would be wonderful on my wall:)
I love your use of bright colours.
ManonX

Victoria April 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM  

wow..your poppies are stunning..amazing energy and brilliance..and I adore your hummingbird..how magical..delicate and full of harmony! yay..enjoy your new creative space..sounds fun!
Victoria

Christine April 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM  

Lovely paintings today, your poppies 'pop'.

Anonymous,  April 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM  

Beautiful poppies and love the hummingbird painting ~ lucky Mom ~ great birthday present ^_^

Lynn Cohen April 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM  

Just did a scroll down your blog and was delighted by all I saw! From family to rain gal. Birds and flowers, rocks and waves, all beautifully done!

Alicia C April 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM  

love all your pieces very much but the flowers to me are just captivating. I weirdly enjoy/don't mind the non/white possibly pink background!

minnemie April 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM  

beautiful! especially the poppies.

Tam Hess April 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM  

I just did a poppies painting, great minds think alike, hehe Yours are beautiful!! That humming birds is awesome!! Happy SS :)

sharon April 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM  

Beautiful, beautiful work. You are one talented lady.

Alexandra MacVean April 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM  

Your paintings are lovely, Deanna. I just love your poppies. They're SO beautiful. :)

Unknown April 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM  

these are so pretty! The poppies are so graceful and the hummingbirds are so delicate. :)

janice smith April 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM  

I love, love, love the poppies and hummingbirds...two of my favorite things! Congrats on setting up a studio. It is life changing! Enjoy!

Ariel April 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM  

The poppies and the hummingbirds are beautiful. Congrats on your new "studio" room. I totally understand the lack of one.Half of my time is lost in trying to get all the supplies together.
Susan

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf April 8, 2013 at 6:07 AM  

This looks gorgeous! Love the birdies! :)

Unknown April 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

oh how you made my day!!!! love the poppies!!! our son asked if we could plant some poppies!!! and you reminded me!!! lovely hummingbirds too!!! we feed about 10 -15 of these birds every season and they are adorable!!!!

Cris, Oregon Artist April 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM  

Love your hummers. Will your Mother be getting a surprise?? :) I am hoping this year my poppies will bloom as I just love them.

Unknown April 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM  

Those are such lovely poppies! The pedals are totally looking translucent! Like the real thing! Amazing!

Lisabella Russo April 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM  

A fear of zombies is *not* irrational!! I too generally avoid zombie flicks, but have watched the first two seasons of Walking Dead on Netflix... I love your poppies, they are beautiful and delicate. I also love your hummingbirds, they are such wonderful birds! Congrats on having a dedicated space for your art!

Unknown April 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM  

I love how they turned out, especially the bird in the first pic end the flowers colour in the second one.

Kisses fro Italy, Alex

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP