Popular Posts

Flamingo Sophisticate

>> Wednesday, July 21, 2010

'Flamingo Sophisticate'
Pencil on Sketch Paper

Have you ever seen a pink flamingo look this good?  Me neither!  Sketched this at work today.  We had a full crew and a relatively slow day.  (A slow day for us is somewhere around 250 calls in 8 hours.  A busy day would be over 400.)  Anyway, I picked this one so I wouldn't have to pay too much attention to detail but I really like this one.  Might have to frame him or her, not sure what sex this birdy is but it looks male to me.  lol  

This was the first sketch in my new sketchbook from Hobby Lobby.  I think it's their brand, Master's Touch 60 lb paper.  It's fairly smooth but it is a little thinner than the paper I typically sketch in.  I have one that I bought a few years ago that is very textured which was great for when I first started drawing but I find I don't care much for it now that I've been doing it a while.  I have a Canson Field sketchbook that I do most of my sketches in but it's kind of heavy to transfer back and forth to work all the time, which is why I bought this one.

I also got a Mead Academie (yes, that's the way they spelled it) Sketchbook; however, I don't know the paper weight, it's just called heavyweight but it's thicker than the Hob Lob paper.  I like it because even though it is in a spiral notebook, it also has the perforated tear off sheets.  I thought it would be good to do ink and watercolor or watercolor pencils without using the more expensive watercolor paper if I'm just practicing.  I'll let you know what I think after I actually use it.  Of course, they're all acid/lignin free.

Off to check out everyone's blogs.  Have a great day!

6 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Katy Cameron July 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

I think he looks male too, beautifully done

blue china studio happy July 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Beautiful and yes, very sophisticated guy!

Autumn Leaves July 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

He looks coy! And about the handsomest flamingo ever!! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Crafting Queen July 22, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

Wow, stunning drawing!Such wonderful detail.

Angela Sullivan September 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Looks confident to me. The king of his world. I just want to thank you again for the blogger award you sent me a while back. I have not forgotten and it is still special. Thanks

Joan Y March 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM  

This is great pencil work and definitely worthy of framing! BTW, I can't believe you have to answer so many phone calls in a day! I'd be hoarse!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP