Popular Posts

PPF - My First Oil Painting

>> Friday, May 20, 2011

Yay, I can finally participate in PPF again!  Although I have cheated a little.  Due to the packing, moving, unpacking and two weeks of my mother being here I have had no time for artwork.  So, I decided to use the very first (and only so far) oil painting I did ala Bob Ross.  I love watching Bob, he's so soothing and makes everything look so easy.  I know there are multiple problems with this one but I don't think it turned out half bad for my first try.  I am dying to do more oil paintings but need to save up some money for supplies first.  Hope you are having a wonderful day.  It is absolutely beautiful here today, not a bad way to start off the weekend!

To see more great artists and what they've been up to, hop on over to the Paint Party Friday blog.

37 Wonderfully Stated Opinions!:

Crafting Queen May 20, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

I think it's great. I think Mr Ross just makes you want to have a go. We get reruns of his shows. Hope your move went well. :)

Anonymous,  May 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

Hi
Visiting from Paint Party Friday.
This is my first time and having fun visiting lots of blogs that are new to me.
In awe that this is your first oil painting.
Wishes
Lynne

Christine May 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

gosh this is great Deanna, such a peaceful relaxing beautiful feel too.

Sacred Yoli May 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

Wow, this was your 1st attempt in oil? Stunning! Happy PPF!

Netty May 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

Wow your oil painting is stunning, I would have thought you had been painting in oils all your life unless you had said this. Happy PPF, Annette x

Heather May 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

Very nice deanna! I love the landscape here...you are very talented, indeed!!!
I've missed you! HOpe you are settling into your new home!!
xo

Heather May 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

ps - i just saw on your sidebar you are doing the creativity bootcamp. so am i! :)

EVA May 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

Gorgeous Deanna!! You did a beautiful job!

Julie Prichard May 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Nice painting! I need to get some oil paints soon. Happy PPF!

Valerie-Jael May 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

I love your mountain landscape, reminds me of the alps! Valerie

GlorV1 May 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

You've done a great job with oils. Very relaxing sight. Good job. I used to watch Bob Ross when he was alive. I didn't know they still had his shows on the air. I really enjoyed watching him work. Great job!

Crystal May 20, 2011 at 2:46 PM  

I am sure Bob Ross would be excited to see how you use his techniques. I always used to watch him, his voice was always so calming and while I don't do many landscapes I just loved they way he worked. :-)

Kristin Dudish May 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM  

Your trees definitely look happy! (And they make me happy too!) This makes me want to paint along too...

xo
Kristin

Hybrid J May 21, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

Well done with the 1st oil painting. Such talent!

Terrie May 21, 2011 at 1:07 AM  

I can see the Ross influence - snow is a tough subject but I think you captured it very well. A really strong first effort. Hope you can get back to it soon.

Katerina Galati May 21, 2011 at 4:38 AM  

I love watching Bob Ross too!!
I believe your oil painting is very good, the sky and the light coming through clouds, the fog, trees... I really like it a lot. Keep practicing with oil!!!
Wish you a lovely creative weekend.

Abela May 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM  

As for your first oil painting I have been great, looks like a professional. ! Mood! Saludos

Maggie May 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM  

This is very beautiful. It looks so still and cold, I think you did an excellent job!

wednesday May 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

Good old Bob. I wonder how many scores of people have learned to paint by watching him. AI think this looks awfully good for your first attempt at oils.

m7 May 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM  

for a first, this one is Amazing! when i first got oil paints a few months back, i, having no knowledge whatsoever on how to use them, made a mess of a painting. :P
my next one turned out well though :)
and ya, the supplies are expensive, i still don't have the knife thing and the bristle brush, i drew both with pieces of plastic and regular brushes...
i'm hoping to make my 3rd soon, and eagerly waiting for your second.
this is lovely. :)

Anne Butera May 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

I think your painting looks wonderful! I used to love watching Bob Ross when I was a kid. I wouldn't paint or anything, just watch. Like I used to watch cooking shows. Kind of funny now that I think about it. I hope you do some more oil paintings!

Pam Tucker May 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM  

This is your first oil painting? It's beautiful! I love this scene. The snow and the mountains looks so peaceful. You did a fantastic job! I can't wait to see more!

Her Speak May 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

Might I say that is a mighty awesome first attempt at oil painting! My first work in oil was a big muddy mess--kudos!! :)

Anonymous,  May 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

this is gorgeous! i can't believe it's your first oil. the scene is stunning and i love the cool colour palette which really makes the viewer imagine how cold it is there. beautiful.

Carmen May 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

I think it's beautiful, so atmospheric!

Confession: I don't know who Bob Ross is. I noticed some of his brandedpaint in Hobbycraft but I didn't know then and still don't know now who he is - I obviously need to Google and find out :)

SHERI COOK May 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

It's beautiful! Welcome to PPF!

Rosie Kaplan May 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

Very impressive first try. VERY impressive.

Unknown May 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM  

The painting is wonderful, as is the flower drawing below! Those dogs are precious, I'm sure they are making somebody very happy. Enjoy the new home!

Anonymous,  May 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

That's a very nice Bob Ross style painting! He always did seem like such a peaceful, gentle man. I liked to watch him sometimes, too.

Tammie Lee May 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

amazing for your first! it has a wonderful feeling and mystery to it.

Heather Foust May 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

This is your first attempt????? Wow you did a great job!!!

Alexandra MacVean May 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM  

Wow! It's quite amazing and breathtaking. Nice job! :) Very. Hugs

Anonymous,  June 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM  

wow this is beautiful.
love the light in the painting.
its great!!!

Melanie June 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

Lovely! Makes me want to pull my paints out!

Melanie August 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

Lovely painting!! Burrrrrrr!

Anonymous,  September 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

When I was 11, my mom let me have one art lesson given by a local artist...and my first entry into painting with oil paints was also a blue monotone landscape similar to this one! Oh you have brought back some memories for me today!

It's so nice to meet and follow yet another fellow artfully inclined individual! I do hope you'll take a minute out of your day to visit with me as well!

ciao bella

Creative Carmelina

Terri Morse December 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM  

Deanna, I love the glow of the light through the trees! I hope you will have more time for painting when things settle down. Have a wonderful weekend! -Terri

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog, posts and artwork!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

All artwork contained in this blog are original works by Deanna Millard unless otherwise stated.

Challenge Yourself

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP